MOTORIZED COUCHES FOR SALE
3/29/13 - Yes. I am building motorized couches. So yeah, a lot has happened in the last year. The Huff was too expensive, I thought. and we were attacked by thieves mercilessly. I have moved everything out of Vallejo and back to safe and secure West Oakland. Ironic, I know. Building one of the beautiful ideas on this page would be a dream, but who can afford that? We could build a crude version perhaps more timely. But generally the most prefered thing is to build a reliable platform and crucify an old couch to it. Nowdays we use Tek screws. I just sold my last stock platform but I can build another in a matter of weeks. I would say my price is $3000 and you supply the couch and lights. That way shipping is easy. The last one was remote control but that was too expensive and, I think, not as much fun as standard joy stick and pedals. So this paragraph is to serve as an update proving I am still kicking. email me
5/28/2012 Finding a couch with good gas mileage and proper tires are problems man has struggled with ever since he first started driving furniture. The folks at Obtainium Works are working on a solution. The idea is to make a light weight robust motorized platform onto which the new owner can add their own ideas. Alternatively, we could supply a complete turnkey product such as the Tunnel of Loveseat shown.
We've been building motorized furniture since 2000 AD. We've made mistakes and learned too many things the hard way. For instance, electric motors are great unless you are planning on going somewhere and would also like to come home (or have expensive equipment.) Inexpensive wheels and bearings are tempting but won't last a day on the playa. Steel is also cheap but alkaline desert lake beds eat steel for breakfast. If you are an artist maybe you'd rather not spend several years working the bugs out of the mechanical portion of your creation.
Why not buy a golf cart? We tried that too. We ended up using the king pins off of it and threw the rest in the dumpster. The garbage guys took a picture and sent us a warning not to do that again. The idea of our platform is that it is small and will fit in a pickup. Two people can lift it. It's fun to drive and little maintenance. The top of it is twelve inches off the ground. Your art is the main feature. It will not look like a converted golf cart or Volkswagen. It is easy to completely conceal the means of locomotion.
What's so special about this new couch as compared to the ordinary motorized couch you can get at any used motorized couch lot?
- Aluminum Frame. The stock lengths are 2" x 2" Aircraft aluminum (6061) with radius corners. This means light weight and will not rust and it will be a pleasure to lift into your vehicle since the frame won't have sharp edges. If it is not a pleasure, email me.
- 110cc ATV 6.5hp engine with electric start. Automatic one speed forward, neutral and reverse gears. This is plenty powerful for Burning Man, parades, golf courses and so forth. These engines are also reliable, easy to install, they don't sound like a lawn mower and they are good looking. They have enough power to tow one or more trailers.
- Disk Brakes provide plenty of stopping power.
- Golf Cart tires. The Playa also eats tires. If you've built a vehicle before you know the one's you should never use. Harbor freight shall remain nameless. They would if the tires they sell weren't flat when you buy them.
- Traditional steering, gas and brakes pedals make the couch easy to drive for everyone with no learning curve.
HOW TO GET ONE:
We are hoping for a selling price between $2500 and $3000 for the platform. In a few weeks when the first couch is finished we will put a Buy It Now button up here. It's too late for Burning Man 2012 unless you already have permission for a vehicle. Perhaps you would rather concentrate on the art work and have us make the motorized sub-structure. Feel free to send me an e-mail: email@example.com.
Where can you drive your motorized couch?
- Burning Man is the annual motorized couch festival in northern Nevada. The best way to get around at Burning Man is by couch.
- Golf Courses: Why use a traditional golf cart when a couch is available with golf bag racks in the back.
- Race Tracks: VIPs can be transported in regal style unmatched by any other vehicle. Imagine if your couch were a gilded throne or fashioned after a '57 Cadillac.
- Gated Communities: A very nice small cargo trailer can make shopping an experience you will want to remember. (Not implying you won't be able to.)
- Parades: The motorized platform is a self contained unit ready for your small float. Imagine a fleet of floats and couches. Who will even notice the folks in the convertible.